Monday, December 29, 2008

Weird Ass Hollywood

I spent all day yesterday walking around Hollywood and on Hollywood Blvd. taking pictures for a side project. 

And since I've written the sentence above I've had some pretty lame experiences and some pretty cool experiences. I've met and hung out with Rick Shapiro (if you don't know who he is you neeeeed to check him out. He's a fucking entity), recorded voices with some cool comedians which include Dov Davidoff, sat a stool away from Bill Burr and Joe Rogan at the bar at the Melrose Imrov and shook hands with Tommy Davidson. But, I'm just now moving into a new place which is cool but I might be losing my job soon so that sucks, along with other drama I wont go into. Thats the way my life has always been. There has to be some kind of intense drama to counteract anything good that happens to me.
 Anyway, these pictures I think really define what that part of Hollywood I was in is all about. Here, in front of that Chinese Theatre thing they have all kinds of people just dressing up in these costumes for no damn reason at all except to have middle-American tourists have their kids take pictures with them. These fuckers don't get paid or anything, I think they're all lonely psychos under all those costumes. Heres a Gene Simmons. 
Heres another dude that was sitting next to the Scientologist people giving other dumb people "stress tests" and I loved this because he's wearing a "V for Vendetta" mask and his sign said something like "Scientology is based on lies and steals your money".
 Fuckin love it. That night I also went to the open mic at the comedy store and I was totally reminded of Patton Oswalt's Dr. Pepper bit about how just as soon as you think you're becoming somewhat of an edgy comic you're completely blown out of the water by some nut job on the street who walked in. This old lady
 was on stage talking about her pots and pans (that she brought with her on stage) and she fucking KILLED. It was amazing. I tried to study from her about how she was getting such an amazing reaction but it really just came down to her being off her rocker. You cant copy crazy.

Speaking of crazy, I also go to this other open mic at the Sunset Grill on Sunset Blvd. next to the Guitar Center. There is this dude there whose name is Elmo 
(pictured far left) and one time he showed up in one of those bright orange vests you see road workers use, and when I was on the mic I asked him jokingly if he just got off cal-trans duty... and he said yeah. And heres the thing, I would have believed him if it wasn't a sunday. But he said it like it was the most serious normal thing you can say. 

I also took a picture of this little wall next to the Gardner Stages which is right next to the Sunset Grill. I think its pretty awesome looking.


No comments: